Golf shop news from Dave Lewis
In case you were not absolutely certain, winter is HERE! I am pleased to report that the golf course has taken all the rain like a true champion with no major issues, flooding or downed trees. Since the season began, we have received more than 20 inches of rain at the maintenance building! We appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation of the “Cart Paths Only” signs.
In addition to the events listed on the Players Club Tournament Schedule you can find on our website (www.hunterranchgolf.com), we have added a few things that we hope you will find interesting:
- Golf Club Demo Day – Saturday, April 15, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm. This year, we will have Callaway, Cleveland, Mizuno, TaylorMade, AND Titleist all here at the same time! To name a few, this is your opportunity to try the new Callaway “Epic” driver on TrackMan (it truly is epic!), the TaylorMade “M” family, the new Titleist 917 products, or a new wedge. Stay tuned for more information.
- Paso Robles City Championship – June 3 and 4. New for 2017 is special “Players Club Only” flights (gross, net and senior). You will get a special price, you will still compete against the field in your chosen flight, but will have a separate purse just for you!
A.J.G.A. (American Junior Golf Association) Championship July 17-20. This is a uniquw way to get to see the future of golf in this country, as this event features the absolute best of the best junior golfers and you can participate in several ways.
- Do you have an empty bedroom? There are 8 – 10 AJGA Staff Members who need a pillow during that week and hotels expenses simply detract from the bottom line of the event. Some staffers will arrive on Saturday, July 15 and will be here through Wednesday night. Most of the players travel with parents, but there may be one or two who may also have such a need. Contact Larry Ward at 805-674-1165 to volunteer to be a "Host House," or with any questions.
- There is a qualifying tournament at 7:30 Monday morning (about 90 players vying for about 10 spots), followed by a practice round for the other 90 or so players that has a separate component – the “Junior Am” – your opportunity to actually play 18 holes with 3 of these amazing youngsters. This “Am” field is limited to the first 20 individuals who register, the format is 1 gross ball plus 1 net ball of the foursome, and the entry fee is $250.00. As a self-funded event, the AJGA relies on such events to offset expenses, and all extra funds are donated to various junior golf activities on the Central Coast. An entry will be available in late June, but please contact Dave Lewis in the golf shop at 805-237-7444 with any questions.
- Bored during the week, usually? This event is always in need of volunteers to act as spotters on the course and any of a number of other duties. Contact Bruce Miller (805) 369-9518 to sign up. The golf course will be closed all day on Monday the 17th for the double shotgun and Junior Am and no tee times will be available until around 12:30 on Tuesday – Thursday, so, you might as well get involved!
- You may have also noticed a new face in the golf shop – Greg Potruch (pronounced Po – Troosh) joined our inside team after spending a year and a half in the cart barn and graduating from Paso Robles High School. Currently attending Cuesta College, Greg is a very proficient player (1.1 index) and would like golf to be his career path. Please introduce yourself the next time you see him!
Until next time…